Saturday, 16 April 2016

Skype Session - 15.4.16 - THE ARTEFACT!!

I hope everyone is getting on well with their studies. I had a very worthwhile skype call last night with Adesola and Lara (who joined us part way through).

I explained that I was unsure about the artefact but that I knew that my idea of a teacher toolkit was not quite right through talking to Paula, I was very lost as to how to figure out what my artefact was. Adesola started by asking me questions about my inquiry - what it was and what I had actually done?

When I mentioned that I had been looking at exam syllabus documents such as AQA GCSE and LAMDA Adesola asked what did they look like? What do they show? We established that these texts and teacher support materials were all laid out very similar. Adesola suggested that this was the form my artefact should take. I could use this format that would be so familiar to teachers to explain my inquiry process. Now she did warn that usually she would steer clear of more writing for an artefact because it is our chance to be creative but because this is something that has come up again and again in my inquiry my professional audience would understand where I was coming from.

It would give me an opportunity to explain my inquiry process in a more creative way. We discussed how I could use the headings typically used in these kinds of documents. For example:


  • Essential Resources
  • Attainment
  • Examination Content
  • Framework
I could take these headings and use them to explain my inquiry. So instead of 'examination content' it would be inquiry content. We discussed how I would present this artefact for submission. Most exam syllabus documents are available in PDF format and in hard copy so I could do both for submission and presentation. We also discussed how it would be nice for me to design the front cover and use a similar layout so that people would easily recognise where the idea came from. 

When Lara joined us we talked about how the artefact should be something that your professional audience would recognise and use. 

The session gave me a lot to think about. My next steps are to get my first draft of my critical review finished to send to Paula tomorrow and then begin to work on this artefact. 

I hope that I have explained the thinking behind this clearly!!! 

2 comments:

  1. yes as discussed Lisa - you are communicating what you found out to your professional audience - so your inquiry 'development' work after research is put into this communication for both the critical review and the artefact. It is all about the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    Thank you for posting this, I am also struggling to think of something to produce for my artefact that would be relevant for the audience my inquiry is based around. I'm trying to think of something creative, this has helped clarify what is needed.

    ReplyDelete