LAMDA examinations
Teacher support material
Graded examinations in Communication p4-7 (September 2014)
I had read through the teacher support material sometime
last year while preparing students for the LAMDA examinations in Communication:
Verse and Prose. I thought that because of the line my inquiry is taking it
would be worthwhile to go back and look at the text again. It is
support published by LAMDA for teachers and ‘learners’ who are preparing from
the exams. I was hoping that it would help me to see LAMDA’s recommended way of
preparing students.
First of all I like the fact that they call the students ‘learners’.
However, it is interesting that they are not called performers as it is a performance
based exam. I think this could be that because as well as performing verse
and/or prose selections (depending on level) the ‘learners’ have to prepare for
some theory knowledge questions. These questions are related to things you
would learn in English and the support material for that is in a separate document,
worth me looking into.
In grade one and upwards ‘learners’ have to perform two
pieces. One has to be one of the LAMDA recommended pieces and the other is your
own choice. It is quite open as to what kind of piece that you pick providing
it is appropriate to the level being prepared for. LAMDA does stipulate that
they own choice should, ‘go beyond easily recognisable events’. They say that
this is,
“so that the learner can begin to explore emotions, moods
and atmosphere outside their immediate experience,”
I think that this is important for young people to
develop their imagination and also one of the reasons I have been thinking
about methods. The point is to push them outside of what they know, therefore
they can’t always be drawing on their own experiences to be able to convey the
mood. This is where Brecht’s idea of attitudes, which I mentioned in a previous
review, would help me to get those feelings and emotions out of my students. LAMDA
also says that the vocabulary should show ‘variety’ and be ‘expressive’. Again
this is to improve their English language skills.
It is recommended in the support material that as a
teacher you build up a ‘portfolio’ of pieces that you can use with different ‘learners’
over time. The choices should show variety and be age appropriate. LAMDA do
also give some advice on how to keep your students engaged,
‘capture your learner’s imagination by selecting verse
which presents colourful word pictures and/or powerful imagery.’
They also recommend when picking prose to use novels that
young people may have studied at school. So they do make reference to
engagement. This is something that can worry me. If students get bored they don’t
try. This is where the different teaching methods would come in, how to make it
interesting.
In the text it says that, ‘the learner must bring it to
life’. They have to use their voice, movement and body language to show the
mood of the piece. One thing that I found interesting is that they say the
performer should share the text with the ‘imagined audience’. I don’t remember
hearing that before. I usually prepare the students for the exam or audition
style performance. So performing for one or two people – does the ‘imagined
audience’ mean that they should be performing as if they are on stage. There is
a difference. The students have never had any negative comments about this
during exams, but it could be something that we could try. Even as a way to get
them more expressive and confident.
No comments:
Post a Comment