In last nights Skype session we had a mix of students from each module. We discussed our upcoming submissions.
I benefitted from listening to Pip (who is on Module 3) talking about her experience with her critical reflection. She said that she had started off by really just writing about the theories discussed over the module but initially hadn't related back to her professional practise. She said it was a kind of light bulb moment for her. A realisation of what we are actually gaining from the course.
I think this is what I have been struggling with, truly having a critical look at myself. Pip talked about beginning to think in that way on a daily basis. I do write daily in my journal and write down ideas that come to me. However, I think that my critical thinking can sometimes be missing from this. Or we talked about if you write down thoughts after the fact your thoughts may actually change. Adesola pointed out that often you go back to something you wrote and think, "I wrote that?!" - There you see the change in your thinking. So going forward I aim to keep a more detailed record of my thinking. Writing or noting things down in a critical reflection style as I go along may help.
Adesola also mentioned about staying true to yourself as a artist/performer. The critical reflection is about you. I think it was Pip who also said be genuine about what you have learnt. If social media, for example, is not something new to you don't act like it is. Don't write the obvious.
I think at this point the group session was useful to talk to other M1 students about the critical reflection, but also to look forward to the next step of the journey. What skills should we be taking forward. I don't want to stop engaging on this level with my professional practise over the summer because I feel like the course has pushed me to be more aware of myself, and of others. Rather than just doing a job on autopilot. I am questioning, why am I doing that? Why do others do what they do?
Thanks Lisa
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa! I tried following you to add your blog to my BAPP circle but somehow there is no button to do so? Thanks, Lara
ReplyDeleteHi Lara,
DeleteThe way I add everyones blog is on the blogger home page. When I'm signed into blogger the first page it brings me to has a list of everyone I've added and displays their posts in order like a timeline.
On the dashboard on the left hand side there is a button that says ADD - click this and you put in the URL or name of the blog you want to follow and then it will appear on your dashboard when you sign in so you can see when people post new things.
Hope that helps!!
Lisa x