I thought I would share my thoughts on what I read.
"The unique perspective of the researcher inevitably makes a difference to the research." (Costley et al. 2010: p1)
I think this is positive. However, I need to understand better what that difference is. For me being an 'insider researcher' is helpful to my inquiry because it is embedded in my work. They both help each other. Throughout the module I will be making regular notes in my BAPP journal. I have done this since starting the course but this time my journal notes will be more focused on my exam preparation classes as these are the ones connected to my inquiry. These notes will help me to become a better teacher and also to gather data for my inquiry. This will also help me in terms of time constraints. I will have to put extra time aside for reading literature, keeping up with blogs and SIGs and writing things up. However, a lot of my thought process can be happening while in the workplace. I must make sure to keep on top of everything.
Costley et al mention that as an insider researched your research will be affected by those around you. This is of course true for me as I am influenced by my colleagues and others in my life. They say that you also have to fit into your university's codes of practise. This goes back to what Adesola mentioned to us in a Skype session last module - we are representing Middlesex. We also have time constraints - the 12 week period. We are not changing the world but gaining a deeper understanding of something. So as Costley et al say "the scale of the work based project is likely to be very small." It will be 'specific' to you as a professional practitioner.
My aim is that my inquiry will have a positive impact. As I my knowledge deepens I hope that my students will too. I also hope that by opening up more lines of communication with colleagues and other professionals this will have a positive impact on my teaching and make me a more well rounded and reflective practitioner. However, I do have to also consider any negative outcomes.
(Costley et al. 2010; p32)
These are some of the negative things that could come out of insider research. Confidentiality and anonymity issues. This source seems to express my exact concerns. I know that my gatekeeper would like everything kept anonymous but if people do know what company I work for can they figure out who I am talking about? I have tried my best not to mention the name of the company I work for on the blogs and SIGs. Not because I don't feel proud of working for them. I do, I think they do great work with young people, but because of ethics.
Ethics are extremely important in research. Although I'm not talking directly to young people about my inquiry I will still have to be aware of how I affect them. Any comments that I make about a child will not be a comment on their ability - rather more thinking about their understanding of an exam syllabus or what exercises best engage them and how I can make that better for them.
Reference
Costley, C., Elliot, G. and Gibbs, P.
(2010). Doing work based research: approaches to enquiry for
insider-researchers. 1st ed. [ebook] London, Los Angeles [California]:
SAGE. Available at: http://readinglists.mdx.ac.uk/items/1E314DBA-68BB-33F2-C55D-1873C1256772.html?referrer=%2Flists%2F1CB28AEA-E14E-995A-245A-A7D7E26723DD.html%23item-1E314DBA-68BB-33F2-C55D-1873C1256772
[Accessed 23 Feb. 2016].

Hi Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI have been looking back into the 'insider researcher' books this week too and have been looking at Costley et al. (2010). I found I seem to have similar concerns to you about confidentiality and anonymity. I have posted my concerns on my SIG, so your comments would be greatly appreciated on this!
I think it comes down to your own moral ethics and considering 'if I was the participant, would I want to be treated in this way?'. I think that fact that you say you would like a positive outcome,shows you respect your colleagues around you and want to develop your practices using their expertise. In terms of negative outcomes, it becomes quite difficult. I think maybe it comes down to suggestions rather than negatives. Maybe this is what the literature said, this is what I found, what can we do from here?
Jess.
Hi Jess,
DeleteI have read your post and it seems that yes we do have very similar concerns. I think if I was participating in this kind of research I would want to be honest as possible and would also want to be treated with respect. Which we will do in keeping things confidential. I do worry that maybe others who I work with - if reading my research - might be able to figure out who I am talking about. Not that I plan to say anything negative about anyone, but then is anything truly confidential.
I do find that sometimes I might hold back from writing about certain experiences on my blog because although it is mostly BAPPers who read it, the blog is public. I use my journal to write about things I would rather not on my blog. I don't want to hold back when it comes to my research - is it right to filter things out?
Obviously at this point I don't know what my participants are going to say and I am not sure what data I will end up with. We need to think of the implications though as Costley et al say.
Lisa x
Hi Lisa,
DeleteYes, I think that we do have similar concerns. I think, like me, you are worried about the negative impacts on your colleagues. I read in Reader 7 yesterday that one one around this in an interview situation is to ask the originator to check the anonymous quotes that you are planning to use, by seeking consent. This way it gives participants an opportunity to edit quotes when they see them written down.
Yes I think it is wise to only reflect on certain situations in the Learning Journal. I think another thing that helped me from Reader 7 under: 'Advice of your Responsibility Regarding Rights of Participants' was to, 'plan an outline of your intentions at the beginning and make it available for others involved in your research project'. I think this is maybe something that you could distribute with consent forms and them you feel you are being honest about what you want to achieve.
Maybe this is something that we could discuss with Paula tonight in the online session?
Jess.
Hi Jess,
ReplyDeleteYes hopefully we can discuss tonight. I read that too about running things by people to check that they are happy with quotes. In doing this thought is their a chance that important data may not be taken into account?
Like I say we don't know what our data will be.
Have you formally contacted participants yet?
Lisa x
Hi Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI have sent an invitation email. I have also prepared all of my consent forms. I have also prepared an 'outline of intentions' information sheet (Reader 7) to accompany these consent forms. I plan to distribute these this week when I have met the conditions of my inquiry with Paula.
Hope this helps,
Jess.